Ship lovers from Denmark, Russia and especially Poland know the history of the passenger vessels Kursk, Tsar and Tsaritsa, built during 1910-1915 for the Russian American Line, a Russian-Danish company.
After the Great War they became Polonia, Estonia and Lithuania, wearing the Danish colours under house flag of the Baltic American Line. In 1930 the trio was sold to Gdynia-America Line as cornerstones for overseas shipping in Poland. The second and third vessel were renamed Kościuszko and Pułaski.
But it is often forgotten that the family also owned a fourth – or rather an elder sister - Russia, which was built in 1908. She was in their shadow because she was rechristened Latvia and sold to Japan in 1923. She was sunk as Huso Maru by the US submarine Steelhead in 1944. The postcard depicts Russia in the Port of Liepaja.
Photo: Archive of the Baltic Transport Journal