Believe it or not, but gliders made it to the inner part of the Port of Gdynia before ships did. What's more, they even did it ahead of the dredgers which dug the harbour channel!
It all happened in 1925 in then the village of Oksywie (now Gdynia's city district), which was chosen as the place for the 2nd All-Polish Glider Challenge. Pilots took off from the slopes of Kępa Oksywska and landed in the meadows, which soon were turned into a navigable water area.
The depicted Miś (EN. "teddy bear") won the competition with a "feat" of a 65-second flight. The buildings in the background, in their late construction phase when the photo was taken,
are currently home to the Polish Naval Academy.